Friday, February 27, 2009

"I don't even have a WHALE!"


Today's conversation with Judah went something like this:

Judah: Mommy, I can't do what I want. I don't even have a WHALE!

Me: What are you talking about?

Judah: On this picture. There's a whale. And I want to do this, but I don't have a whale.

Me: Judah, that's called "advertising." That picture is get you thinking about what you don't have instead of what you do have. They want you to go out and buy a whale and then, when you have it, you'll see something else that you want and buy it. That's how they make money.

Judah says something else but I can't remember what it is, then I ask a question.

Me: Judah, you just got a really cool gift from our friends that you didn't have an hour ago, but what are you looking at?

Judah: The picture.

Me: See what I mean? They've got you focused on what you don't have instead of what you do have. It's advertising.

Judah: You mean, it tricks people?

Me: YES. It tricks people.

That little scenario happened hours ago, approximately one hour after he received a birthday gift in the mail from our dear friends in VA. He's still playing with his pirate ship and pirates. I haven't heard another word about the whale.

I guess I am using my communications degree after all. Thanks, Dr. Gotcher, for that class in advertising.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I don't even have a whale!" HaHA! That is funny.

I just had to comment on this pic as I remember I was home packing, while Justin and Sunshine brought R along to the party. A year ago we moved into my parent's house for three weeks before making the BIG move. Suddenly the details flash back as I see pictures from a party I didn't even attend.