Friday, May 15, 2009

New Recipe--Green Chips!


We tried a new recipe tonight that I just had to share.

If you've read my blog for very long, you know that I'm a big fan of green smoothies (yes, I actually add fresh, raw, organic baby spinach and other greens to my fruit smoothies). Well, I just found another scrumptious way to eat more greens (or at least eat the abundance of greens from our CSA, which, by the way, is still accepting new members):

Make Kale or Spinach Chips!

Roasted Kale with Sea Salt 4 cups firmly-packed kale
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. good-quality sea salt, such as Maldon or Cyprus Flake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and trim the kale: Peel off the tough stems by folding the kale leaves in half like a book and stripping the stems off. Toss with extra virgin olive oil. Roast for five minutes. Turn kale over. Roast another 7 to 10 minutes until kale turns brown and becomes paper thin and brittle. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.

Oh, my goodness. These "Kale Chips" were so good that after we devoured them (in a matter of seconds), I did the same thing to the bag of spinach we had in the fridge. Delicious! SO much better than any processed bag of potato chips--and full of nutrition! I couldn't believe it!

I seasoned mine with a little Creole seasoning. James liked them seasoned with salt. Either way, they're worth heating up the house for a few minutes. Amazingly yummy and good for you, too!

If you'd like to try fresh, local, seasonal, organic produce, check out the following links to our CSA. Oh, they now have one in Bowling Green, too!

Letter from Farmer Andrew Habegger

Sign-up form for Eco-Gardens CSA

No comments: