Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Working from home and taking free vacations.

An open letter from me to a group of friends who have followed my entreprenurial journey for the past year:

Good morning, friends.

Several of you have asked me recently how it's going with my business. I expect that's because it's been a while since I've sent an update!

As you may know, this is my first time ever running my own business. It's been quite an education! I've learned that it's easy to spend money when it's a "business expense" or a "tax write-off." I ended up spending more than I made. The husband wasn't too happy. I also learned that I'm no longer very good at juggling several responsibilities now that I'm a mother of two. When I started teaching in the fall, my travel business took a back seat. Again, the husband? Hoping I pick it back up--soon.

Between learning how to get by on very little (I kissed the credit card goodbye) and summer arriving with no more papers to grade (woo hoo!), my creative thinking skills have kicked into gear again. Creative thinking and motivation are KEY to owning your own business! Yes, the husband is very, very happy.

In a nutshell, I made an average of $2,000 per month working from home last year. We received our tax return a couple weeks ago, and even after we paid our accountant (who is AMAZING, by the way), the IRS deposited over $6,000 into our checking account. That put quite a dent in our debt! We are on track to pay off ALL of our debt in less than four years--including our house--even if I don't make any more money with my business. However, if I continue to make money, financial freedom comes even faster!

I can't do it without a team, though. I'd love to have approximately 12 people join me this summer. If you're one of them, or if you know someone who might be, I'd love to connect before any vacations are planned since we are now able to take vacations for FREE. I'm already planning a little getaway when the husband rides his bike across Iowa--or is it Idaho? Either way, he'll be gone, so the kids and I are going to sneak off to the beach. We'll be able to stay in a condo for a week for F.R.E.E. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

Oh, and one more thing, if you haven't already heard, my 5-year-old son and I are going to be performing together on stage for the first time. If you're in the area, come out to David Lipscomb's Shamblin Theater on July 31, August 1-2, or August 7-9 at 7:00 p.m. to see us. The play is called Mirror, Mirror and it's loosely based on the story of Snow White, but it's set during the time of King Arthur. I play Queen Morgana, also known as Morgan Le Fay, and Judah plays a little boy named Brody. He even has two lines! Rehearsals are every Monday and Thursday night, which means I won't be at the business presentation this Monday, but I'm hoping to have a few people there. Let me know if you'd like the details!

Happy Summer to all! And to all, free vacations! (hee hee)

Lori Todd
http://loritodd.biz
(615) 891-1704, home
(615) 496-8079, cell

No comments: