Sunday, September 9, 2018

The Year of Loss: 2018

So... it's been a while since I last posted anything. I originally started this blog to keep up with the hilarious things my toddler was saying. That kid is 14 years old now, so I probably won't be capturing too many adorable quotes from him anytime soon.




It's been quite a year.

In February, one of my dearest friends was diagnosed with cancer.

In March, I started watching her boys part-time.

In April, my divorce was finalized.

In May, my ex-husband moved a mile down the street.

May, June, July, and August: The summer I had five kids.



In June, I lost my maternal grandmother.

In July, I lost my friend.

In August, I started a "new job."

In September, I started experiencing frequent hot flashes.

Lordamercy.

I've spent all day today and yesterday sitting at my kitchen table with my laptop, learning how to make Google fall in love with my friend's website. Heidi owns a lovely dog daycare and boarding business in Nashville. She's wanting to give the virtual side of her business a bit of a face-lift, like a new coat of paint on a big, beautiful home. Figuratively speaking, I'm learning which colors are Google's favorite so that it pays more attention to her site and mentions it more often when people are searching for what her business offers.


Adorable pup with tongue hanging out stands in pool at Red Rover Dog Daycare in Nashville
You can find pictures like these on her Facebook, Instagram, and website.
ADORABLE! 
I've always loved helping to support small businesses (if you know me at all, you know that I tend to avoid chains), so this is a way I can do that remotely and still homeschool the kids during the week (and run them to auditions and rehearsals and shows).

So, as I wrap things up on this quiet Sunday afternoon (the kids are with their dad on the weekends now, so I have a very quiet house in which to work), I just wanted to take a minute to revisit my poor, old, neglected blog and sort of make sense of the year in words.

I wondered today what the primary life stressors are since I figure I've probably lived through several of them this year, and as it turns out, I have.

A quick Google search of the 10 major stressors turned this up:

I also happened upon this article in my search about major stressors, which lists "Death of a loved one," "Separation or divorce," and "Starting a new job," as three of the top 4 out of the top 10:

So, yeah, I guess it's been a bit of a stressful year so far.

Next month, I turn 44. I like to celebrate the entire month of October. Hoping for lots to celebrate.


No comments: