Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars = MMMMMMMM


I made homemade granola bars again yesterday. They are SO SO SO good. I don't want to lose the recipe, so I'm posting it here:




Basically, you toast the dry ingredients (you could do a "raw" version and forego the toasting--the flavor is a bit different but both ways are good), heat the butter (use REAL butter!!!) and brown sugar and honey (I used about a third of what it calls for since I made them before and they were plenty sweet and sticky) and then mix the wet and dry ingredients together, press the mixture into a pan with parchment paper, let it cool, and cut into bars. SO EASY.


This time I used pecans instead of almonds (the recipe calls for peanuts but I haven't tried those yet) and dried cherries instead of dried apricots (recipe just says dried fruit). Last time I used 1 tsp of almond extract and 1 tsp of vanilla. Mmmmmm.


I also did part flaxseed meal instead of the full 3/4 cup wheat germ both times and threw in two handfuls of whole flaxseeds this time. I also added a small handful of all-natural chocolate chips and cacao nibs this time. I'm sure I made other substitutions, but I don't remember them right now.


I want to try making this granola next:



4 comments:

Wendy said...

That's funny. That first one is the same recipe I used from the same blog. :) I suppose I should try cutting back on the sticky sweet stuff, too.... It still stuck together just fine?

the Mrs. said...

Looks ABSOLUTELY scrumptious.

Oh, and we LOVE homemade granola; will have to try this one. I like adding coconut flakes to ours sometimes, too. (Complements dried berries nicely!)

Lori said...

Wendy, you know what they say about great minds . . . I cut back more on the brown sugar than on the honey for the sticky factor (probably a third of the sugar and a little more than half the honey)--they still stuck together perfectly well. I might try making some with coconut oil so my midwife can try them. She's vegan.

Christy, I keep meaning to add coconut and keep forgetting! They don't last long around here, so I may just have to make some more this week.

Auntie Bec said...

Yummmmmmmmyyy.