Sunday, February 7, 2010

Homemade Granola sans Shellac

Well, I did it. I made the homemade granola from this site:
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Great-Granola/Detail.aspx

Oh, WOW, it's good. I chose the cherry/almond/coconut flavor, used coconut oil in the wet ingredients, and baked it for 30 minutes total, adding the cherries after 20 minutes. DELICIOUS.

Next time I make homemade granola or granola bars, I'm doubling or tripling the recipe.

Oh, and my granola happens to contain ZERO grams of shellac.

Shellac? Yep.

You see, I've influenced a few friends and family members with my label-reading obsession, one of whom found SHELLAC listed as an ingredient in a box of granola bars. Thinking it was some sort of varnish (to make the granola bars shiny) but not really sure what it was made from, we looked it up in my handy unabridged dictionary.

Shellac is "lac that has been purified and formed into thin sheets, used for making varnish."

Well, we couldn't stop there, of course. We had to find out the definition of "lac," too, which happens to be "a resinous secretion of the lac insect deposited on trees and used in making shellac."

Not everything used in the production of processed and packaged foods is actually food.

Label-readers, unite!

No comments: