Thursday, August 14, 2008

Delicious Caribbean Food--At the Farmers Market!

Jamaicaway Restaurant and Catering, which is run by a delightful mother and son team, is my most recent "excellent food" find. Their food is SO flavorful that I just had to write a quick post about it. Here's another online review.

The kids and I stopped in for lunch one day last week. I ordered one plate with chicken and two sides (sweet potatoes with pineapple and rice with beans) that easily fed all three of us. Then, last night, Mr. Honey asked me to pick something up on my way home from having some dental work done (he wasn't feeling well--Tuesdays are usually our night to stay home and eat dinner made from our fresh, delicious CSA share delivered that afternoon, but I was coming home from the dentist and Mr. Honey was not only feeling puny, but also trying to finish up some work), so I stopped by Jamaicaway again.

For less than $20 I came home with curry chicken, jerk chicken, sweet potatoes, rice and beans, green beans, turnip greens, johnny cakes, and more (free) fried chicken than we could eat. The whole family ate dinner last night, the kids and I ate lunch this afternoon, and there are still some leftovers in the fridge.

The service was excellent. The owner took the time to walk me through the different options, and she gave me a ton of free fried chicken. Everything we ordered was different and flavorful. I loved it!

Since the Nashville Farmers' Market is undergoing major renovations, this restaurant appears to be a literal "hole in the wall," but a little time spent inside sampling the fare and mingling with the clientele will undoubtedly uncover a pleasant surprise.

No comments: