Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wednesdays are for Writing

Wendy reminded me that today is Wednesday. That means I'm to write.

I actually have two memories I want to capture from the past week. I'll post them separately.

The first one happened the night Miriam lied to me (again) about brushing her teeth. She's mostly a truthful child. She has very few character flaws. She is, to be quite honest, nearly perfect.

But when I ask her, "Did you brush your teeth?" She nods. Whether she brushed them or not.

Usually I keep asking questions:

Are you sure?
Can I check?
Come here and let me smell your breath.

She sighs. Then pivots around and heads back to the bathroom. This scene may play out more than once before I call in reinforcements. I can rest assured that she has brushed her teeth if Daddy is in there to supervise.

Once we get to the part of the night that teeth are being brushed, I'm ready for a break.

This particular night, I just stopped and asked her, with sincere sadness in my voice, "Why are you lying to me?"

She broke down. She ran into the other room and cried. And cried. It took her several minutes to regain her composure, and when Daddy told her she needed to make it right with Mommy, she lost it again.

Finally, she came over to me, I took a break from washing dishes, sat down on a kitchen chair, and forgave her. I told her that I wanted her to be honest with me and that I would always try to be honest with her.

We embraced.

She says, "Mom, I got a picture of that man who was going to sacrifice his child and then the angel came and said not to do it and offered him the sacrifice. And then they hugged for a really long time."

Precious girl.

Photo by Plaid LLama Studios



No comments: