Thursday, November 15, 2012

On Apples and Arrows

On the recommendation of a trusted friend, I took Judah and Nadia to the Linden Waldorf School "Elves Faire."(Miriam was busy with her Daddy doing all sorts of other things--a kettlebell class, a Publix run, a visit to the Farmer's Market, etc.)

Armed with $15 worth of $1 tickets, Judah took off toward the archery booth. After shooting five arrows with his first two tickets, he moved on to the rope ladder. After that, he was off to the climbing wall.

Nadia and I cheered him on as he made his way up the wall with some serious spider skill. He was up in no time. The volunteer dad offered to let him climb it a second time. When he asked for the most difficult part of the wall, he was routed to the other side. This one took a little bit more time to scale, but the volunteer dad assured me that he was doing a great job. In fact, several kids who were taller than he was weren't able to get up that side. Beside him, a little girl had made it to the top but was too afraid to let go and belay down. Scared, she cried and cried and just kept holding on. Judah climbed up (again) and showed her how to let go and ease down. He climbed back up and offered to hold her hand. He climbed up a fourth time and showed her how slowly she would come down if she would just let go. She never did.

I was so proud of that kid.

Then we were off to have a little snack, which Judah paid for in tickets.

Now, out of tickets, Judah began to climb other things. And . . . he found a $5 bill. So he bought more tickets. I found another ticket, which I gave to him. By the end of the day, he had found at least 12 more tickets, nearly all of which he spent on archery.

He was told that if he were to hit the apple with an arrow, he would not only get to keep the arrow, but he would also win a pie. He might be a little bit motivated by competition--and rewards.

Since he never hit the apple, he finally came to me.

"Mom, if I give you two tickets, will you shoot an apple and win a pie for me? I'll buy another treat for you and Nadia."

Sure. I'd try. I think the last time I shot a bow and arrow, though, was when I was 12. That was . . . too many years ago.

By this time, James had arrived with Miriam, so I convinced Judah to let her have some tickets, too. We lined up at the three stations: first Miriam, then Judah, and then me.

The volunteer dad behind me coached me through loading my arrow and standing properly. "Good form," he says. "Ready?"

I let the arrow fly.

Right into the apple.

On the first try.

I am my father's daughter.

I had four more arrows to launch, but only the second one hit another apple. I think I had too much nervous energy after that. Poor Judah didn't get his pie, though. They ran out too quickly. He did, however, get to walk to the van holding an apple with an arrow through it. He made eye-contact with everyone he met on our way out and felt like the envy of every (very impressed) little boy on campus. I have to admit, I was pretty delighted to walk out of there knowing that not only did I offer to shoot the arrow for my young son, but I also hit the apple with the first shot. Makes me feel like my own little apple didn't fall far from his tree.


He might have been a little younger in these pics. Hee hee hee!

No comments: