Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Okra? Really? YES!

I never thought I'd say this, but I ate okra tonight and LOVED it! I had heard from two of the moms in my playgroup that they toss okra in olive oil and bake it so it's not slimy. Then, I got this recipe from my friend Lisa:

Roasted Okra
Not slimy. Great finger food.

I pour coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice) in a pyrex lasagne dish. Place whole Okra, stems and all, in the oil and coat. Bake in a single layer in a 375 degree oven for roughly 30 minutes, stirring or turning once or twice. You can alter the cooking time to suit your tastes. I like them to brown a little. Allow to cool until they can be handled. Just pick them up by the stem and bite off the pod. I sprinkle mine with sea salt or Real salt. Gregory and Joseph like theirs plain.

Lisa

We got a box of produce yesterday (our CSA share) with a bunch of okra, so I thought, "What the heck? Let's give it a go." Guess what? AMAZING. Not like "tolerable," but AMAZING.

So tonight we ate fried chicken (a la chef James), fresh crowder peas, and roasted okra. I think last night we ate popcorn (organic and popped on the stove, drizzled with real butter with a few shakes of nutritional yeast and sea salt). :0) We're still recovering from four consecutive days at an all-inclusive resort where ALL of our meals and snacks were already prepared for us. I haven't wanted to prepare food for the past two days! We're gradually acclimating, though. As you can see . . . beginning with okra and crowder peas! Surprise!

2 comments:

jenchillla said...

I can show you how to fry it if you ever want to venture to the dark side ;)

It's beyond amazing.

julianalovespy said...

I just made this & it is so yummy. I love okra anyway at all, but Rob only liked it fried up to this point. This is SO much easier than frying because you don't have to chop it up!

Thanks for the recipe!