Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Where I eat--First Draft revised

A friend asked me recently where I go out to eat for lunch. Another friend called me yesterday and asked what I eat throughout the day. I had already thought about writing down my favorite lunch spots and a typical (good) food day, so here goes:

Kalamata's in Green Hills--cup of gazpacho and fish special (grilled fish on Greek salad with extra yummies, i.e. salmon with mango salsa); or fruity chicken salad in wheat pita; or grilled veggie with feta in wheat pita.

Baja Burrito in Berry Hill--chicken burrito (double bean when pregnant--no chicken due to meat aversion) with beans, cheese, lettuce, pico, extra tomatoes, mild salsa, black olives, cucumbers, spicy guacamole, chives, and cilantro.

Star Bagel in West Nashville--Starz Classic TURKEY sandwich and fruit tea--they grill the bread and melt the cheese and pile on fresh lettuce and tomato with all kinds of other yumminess (similar to Schlotzky's turkey original only fresher and yummier).

Provence--Downtown Library & Hillsboro Village (mixed greens strawberry salad with bleu cheese, spiced caramelized walnuts, & fennel)
Bread & Company--Green Hills, West End, & Cool Springs (strawberry fields salad with chicken pecan salad)
The Food Company--Green Hills (turkey #2 sandwich add tomato & avocado)
Calypso Cafe--Berry Hill, West End, Cool Springs (Lucayan salad-- rotisserie chicken, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, and delicious dressing on fresh greens) NOTE: Only the Berry Hill location offers REAL butter for their muffins.
Fido--Hillsboro Village (salmon special for dinner or hummus with veggies for a mini-meal or paletas for dessert)
Bongo Java--East Nashville (delicious veggie sandwich--the last time I ate there I wanted to hug the chef it was so good)
Portland Brew--12th Ave S. or East Nashville (Multnomah sandwich from deli fridge--turkey with cranberries and sprouts and delicious pesto.)
San Antonio Taco Co.--Vandy area or downtown (two soft chicken tacos with lettuce, tomato, and cheese--usually eaten at Dragon Park)
Christopher Pizza--Music Square (one of two gourmet veggie pizzas)
Copper Kettle--12 Ave. S./Granny White (fried goat cheese salad with strawberries, mango, spiced pecans, sundried cranberry vinaigrette atop mixed greens)
Jason's Deli--Cool Springs (after church/excellent salad bar/no partially hydrogenated oil in anything--including their crackers and croutons) NOTE: Jason's Deli is a chain, unlike most of the other places I frequent, but they deserve to be on here since they're on the Ban Trans Fats wagon. :0)


A GOOD food day looks something like this:

Lots of water throughout the day, approx. a half gallon (64 oz.)

Start with a fresh fruit smoothie, add baby spinach--I like to mix fresh peaches, frozen or fresh mango, frozen strawberries, a little not-from-concentrate orange juice and two handfuls of baby spinach. A little mint is nice if we have it. Delicious.

Piece of 9-grain toast from Great Harvest Bread Company (local bakery--grinds whole grains fresh daily) smeared with natural peanut butter, drizzled with a little bit of raw local honey and topped with wheat germ.

That's breakfast.

Second breakfast is usually a cup of James' homemade gazpacho, which is loaded with both cooked and raw local, organic veggies. I'm really going to miss it this winter.

For lunch, I love a good turkey (or just veggie) sandwich on my hearty 9-grain bread with mayo, spinach, fresh tomatoes, sprouts, (sometimes hummus, cucumbers, carrots--anything in the fridge that looks like it would be good in a sandwich), strong-flavored cheese, and sea salt.

I usually need to eat again before dinner, so I might grab some fruit off the counter, finish off some chilled pear-mint soup from the fridge, or snack on a granny smith apple with natural peanut butter (often a breakfast item if not in the mood for toast).

For dinner, I love to go to Kalamata's for their fish special on Wednesday or Thursday night, but if we're at home and having friends over, James makes a delicious broiled fish, steamed asparagus (we call it mmmmmsparagus), roasted carrots, and berry (zing) salad. It is on these nights that I eat like a queen.

Occasionally, we'll have popcorn for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just as a snack. It's on those days that I'm barely holding it together and know that I need to feed myself and my son something. Even then, though, we make it on the stove with coconut oil, top it with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, and nutrional yeast. No more microwave popcorn with partially hydrogenated oil and other mysterious ingredients for us. We crave the real thing (and we'll even use butter, but Judah won't let us get by without the nutritional yeast.)

As far as desserts go, my favorite dessert is a good sweet tea (like the one at the Frist Center Cafe), but I won't pass up fresh, chewy homemade cookies. We also love Las Paletas gourmet Mexican popsicles.

All in all, I like sandwiches, salads, and soups. I try to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods. I frequent locally owned restaurants, deli's, and bakeries. I'm into the real stuff. Often.

2 comments:

jenchillla said...

Popcorn (on the stove) IS a meal in and of itself! I can't wait until the wee one is old enough to eat it, too.

Jillian said...

This is a WONDERFUL post! Some places on your list that I LOVE, and some I've never heard of. New places to try...hooray!

I've recently discovered that Great Harvest uses...gasp...CORN SYRUP in most of its breads!! I was devastated. Fortunately the honey whole wheat, which is our family favorite, doesn't have the corn syrup added. I ask you, why would an awesome, grind-your-own-grain bakery use a genetically engineered, substandard ingredient like corn syrup???? (OK, I sounded a bit wacko there for a second...)

Thanks for the great restaurant list!