Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Never say, "I can't afford it."

This morning, I woke up writing in my head. I have a dozen thoughts bouncing around that I want to get out. This is a continuation of last night's post.

Rich Dad told Robert, never say, "I can't afford it." Rather, ask, "How can I afford it?" The first statement shut down all thinking. The question, however, opened up his mind for further thought. Rich Dad wanted Robert to get his brain working--all the time.

Kiyosaki implores his readers to take control of their spending--to harness that power instead of letting it control them. He goes so far as to say that if they have trouble with this to join the military or some religious order to gain more self-control.

In my opinion, that's what fasting is all about. It's a gift from God to us to help us gain self-control, which is a fruit of the Spirit. Want a personal example? I asked the Lord what I should fast in 2000 since I was having major blood-sugar issues and didn't feel as though I could fast any meals. When I sensed him asking me to fast make-up, I was shocked. I knew that was an area in which I was in bondage. I just didn't expect Him to call me on it.

I did it. I fasted make-up. And it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Today, I can take it or leave it. I can leave the house in a hurry if Ineed to or I can take my time and get all made-up and feel great either way. I learned that people weren't going to treat me any differently based on whether my face was made up or bare.

It's amazing to me how much we think we have to have, but when we're able to lay it down, how little we actually need.

Several weeks ago, I overheard a lady at the Turnip Truck Farmers' Market say that hot dogs triggered migraine headaches for her, but when she absolutely had to have one, she made sure that she didn't have anything else to that night so she could lie in the dark and endure her headache.

Why on earth someone would endure a migraine headache for a hot dog is beyond me. I think it goes back to self control or the lack of it. Somehow, we detach (as a culture) from the consequences of our choices--especially if they could do us harm long-term.

Dani Johnson says, "Options are a disease." She says that we can all get out of debt without increasing our income--that debt is a habit and that you can be filthy rich and still be a slave to debt. I need to write a separate blog post about it since it's SO meaty.

During my "First Steps to Success" seminar, Dani Johnson asked us to weigh everything by "Ego or Bank Account." Kiyosaki encourages us to ask, "Liability or Asset?" Taking it to the next level, we could wonder, "Eternity or Temporal?" A friend's blog has a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., "Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?"

So much to chew on. Now it's time to help Judah with his oatmeal. Mira just woke up. I have to get ready for school. Welcome to mommyhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't left many comments lately, but i want you to know how happy I am to see you growing in freedom and wisdom in financial matters, which really are heart issues. Everything you've been writing is stuff I firmly believe, and was introduced to me by Hub's time at Dave Ramsey. Dave is really passionate about the people working at the company really GETTING this stuff, spouses too. If you're not really into it, it's not a good match to work there.

Anyway, he distributes books he likes to everyone at the company and most of the books you've mentioned, we've read because he gave them to us.

It's great to have another friend cross over from "normal" (in debt, stressed out, lacking vision), to what I feel is a more Godly position. If we are called to walk with vision in our lives in general, why shouldn't that radiate into our finances, which are so highly personal and show our motivations so clearly? So, good on you! Love you!