Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Friends in need need loving friends

Right now I seem to have a lot of friends in need. Friends in the hospital or receiving medical treatment, friends going through divorces or getting married, friends moving or renovating houses, friends believing for healing miracles for other friends or family members, friends in desperate need of financial provision or better jobs or any job . . . sometimes the needs are overwhelming. Sometimes I'm able to help in small ways and feel connected; sometimes I'm alone and I pray.

My friend Wendy wrote yesterday about her neighbor who "can't get himself to the bathroom or get to the trash can to throw food away." Reading about him makes me so thankful for our friends and family. I'm blown away by the community of people who care about us, who help us when we're in need, who love us through all of our difficulties, who rejoice and celebrate with us, who break bread with us and listen to what is on our minds, who care about the passions and desires of our hearts.

Some friends stopped by tonight with a loaf of bread that they baked at home. They wrapped it in cellophane then covered it in recycled newspaper and wrote on it: "Heard you guys like bread. White loaf." Their visit surprised and delighted us. To be thought of, remembered, loved--to be the recipient of a small act of kindness--to have friends go out of their way to share bread--it makes me a little weepy. My primary love language is quality time, followed by words of affirmation. Tonight's home-baked bread along with the note and the quick visit really did it for me. Thank you, Aaron and Christen. Pop over any time.

Before sitting down to write, I checked all my friends' blogs. Karissa wrote about her sister's recent visit and listed some of the amazing food they ate together. She says of her sister: "To her, fine food starts with time, energy and patience (of which, she has a small reservoir set aside for just this purpose) for all the flavors to be expressed, pulled, marinated and added. There are no short cuts!" My kind of lady! Later in her blog, Karissa writes, "We ate like Kings and Queens...as we should! Isn't it funny how life really does revolve around food. Makes you realize how much more so food should revolve around a table and friendly faces. Unfortunately, especially in America, we have strayed away from this beautiful design. God gave us The Banqueting Table! We are meant to break bread, fellowship, eat, drink and be merry. Ever since Jessica came I have wanted to bring the 'Table' back into our lives here, at Adnevik Lane! Lately, we have been able to accomplish just that and I love it!"

Our extended families are already beginning to plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's always challenging to try to work around everyone's work and family schedules, but every year we manage to gather around food and enjoy the time together (mostly watching our ever-growing number of children--this year Judah will celebrate the holidays with six cousins and a baby sister who will be a year old next month).

While reading my friend's post about adoption, I wondered whether we'll ever adopt and if so, when. Or if we'll become foster parents. We've talked about it. We've done a little research. We like the idea. It's easier just to keep doing what we're doing, you know? I understand that truly living doesn't come from traveling the easy road. At the same time, I don't want to do something simply because it's challenging. I want to know that it's God-inspired and God-directed. Friends of ours who have a daughter in high school are serving as foster parents to a 3-month-old baby because the mom who is a friend of theirs is suffering from severe post-partum depression. These are the kinds of friends we have. What love.

Tonight as I was pondering all these things, I received this e-mail from my friend Isa: "The gospel of Jesus is simple. His love is simple. Jesus shows us love through simple things....one little thing can change a lot! That movie "Evan All Mighty" when Morgan Freeman tells him that changing the world is using one act of random kindness a day....that's what the gospel of Jesus is about, LOVE! Sometimes people don't know how to love or they don't know how to express love....it's simple! It's a little act of kindness. It's going to bring somebody groceries when you know that they are having a financial struggle...it's offering to clean a house of somebody that has an illness...it's just showing up at somebody's house when you know that this person is going through a hard time and doesn't have strength even to ask for help...it's to bring somebody their favorite food; it's to offer to watch their kids for they could go out and have a good time...it's to help somebody with packing when you know they are so overwelmed with the change...it's just to make yourself present even if the other person is in bad mood...it's to knock in somebody's door and say HI I am here for you...I am standing with you...it's to offer your shoulder for them to cry on and cry with them. So many examples of how we could be Jesus' arms. how we can really make a difference in somebody' life through little things....Jesus is calling us to express His love in simple acts...don't think that you don't have anything to give. Ask the Holy Spirit. Sometimes things that appear with no significance to us can mean the world to somebody else."

Well said, Isa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much. I love time with you. I love good food. Even better, I love when we take the time and I get to have good food with you. And I love walking on West End with you and telling jokes with you... about people going into bars. God has blessed us. You are a true friend.

jenchillla said...

Love love love indeed!

Three of my Curves "girls" have had family pass away this past week, and I am just tired of folks dying! Stop it, people! Anyway, I know what you mean. It's so easy to touch someone, especially when they're hurting. It's almost harder NOT to, you know? All I got to give is Jesus. HE works every time.