Sunday, November 4, 2007

Father God runs like a girl.

Tonight is one of those nights that I really need to go to bed, but I want to post something because I've been meaning to for a while, but it is so exciting to me and so full of life that I'm having trouble finding words. When I do write words, I delete them. Then I sit and stare at a blank screen trying to come up with better words. Now I've decided to just write something--anything--and maybe I'll go back later and rewrite it.

Jared Black, the new college pastor at Grace Center, has spoken during the main service a handful of times now. He believes that there is much of the Bible that we just don't get because we're not Jewish. We don't understand the historical context for what was said and done and then recorded in our Bible. He spoke today about the character of Father God and looked at a parable--actually, a series of parables--from a historical and Jewish perspective. Yes, he said that Father God runs like a girl. Suspend judgment. Listen to the message. You'll get it. Man, I love this stuff.

If you can, click on this link to hear his message (the first one listed is the one we heard today--the others are equally as thought-provoking and paradigm-shifting):

http://s7358.gridserver.com/index2.php?cat=JaredBlack#

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is an author named N.T. Wright who you might like, especially his book "The Challenge of Jesus". Wright is a New Testament historian & scholar, and one of the very few who believes in the actual resurrection & supernatural miracles.

The book above really goes through Jesus' words in the context of what they meant to his audience, given their cultural circumstances. Sometimes, I've discovered that what he REALLY meant is quite different from what we've been taught as institutional, western-thinking Christians. I would highly recommend reading it.

Julie