Monday, November 5, 2007

Taco Salad a.k.a. Yesterday's Gazpacho

Judah actually requests my gazpacho: "Not Daddy's gazpacho [which really is gazpacho], the gazpacho you made yesterday." Now, for Judah, yesterday is any time before today. Could have been last week--or last month--or six months ago. Figuring out "yesterday" sometimes takes me a few minutes.

My gazpacho is simply taco salad. The kids and I had it today for lunch. Since James does most of the cooking, I thought I'd share one of the few things I make (that he has never made and that doesn't actually require a stovetop or oven).

It's basically a can of beans (with a bit of seasoning) , a handful of shredded Mexican cheese, a handful of chopped lettuce, a diced tomato, and some tortilla chips.

I'm going to write this recipe the way I wish recipes were written. (I check out children's cookbooks from the library because they're more detailed and I need all the help I can get in the kitchen.)

Mommy's Taco Salad a.k.a. Yesterday's Gazpacho

Open a can of black (or pinto) beans. Rinse them in a colander and dump them in a medium-sized bowl. Rinse the can and recycle.

Sprinkle on some cayenne pepper, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder (or whatever Mexican-type seasonings you have on hand). Mix it up with the fork or spoon you plan to use for eating.

Put in the microwave for a minute.

Get some shredded Mexican cheese and lettuce out of the fridge (our CSA share has had the most amazing organic lettuces the past couple weeks).

Wash the lettuce using the same colander you used for the beans. Pat it dry (or use a salad spinner).

Take the beans out of the microwave and sprinkle on some cheese. Put back in the microwave for another minute to melt the cheese.

Wash a tomato. Chop the lettuce and dice the tomato on the same cutting board. Sometimes I like to sprinkle a little sea salt on the tomatoes.

Take the cheesy beans out of the microwave and add the lettuce and then the tomatoes. Throw a few organic corn chips on top.

Sit on the floor and feed yourself, your toddler, and your baby. Watch out for the next two diaper changes.

If you get to the dishes fast enough, the colander, cutting board, bowl, and fork (or spoon--I prefer a spoon) are easy to clean.

Today I wanted someone else to make lunch for me. Then, I remembered that I could make taco salad. Now, the house is quiet, the children are sleeping, the windows are open, the wind is blowing, and I'm writing. Dreamy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE taco salad. Really, one of my top five meals. Add in some ripe avacado, a few olives...mmmmmm.

jenchillla said...

LOL... "Watch out for the next few diaper changes."