Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pyrex Explosions

Check out Consumer Affairs' website and read some of the customer complaints about Pyrex cookware. I've posted a couple of them here, too. Most of them experienced explosions in the oven or upon removing them from the oven. At least one said her Pyrex exploded in the cabinet.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

Joann of Springfield PA (11/21/07) I had put my vegetables in my pyrex dish, as I always do, inside my oven. It had only been in there 12 minutes when my husband walked in and found flames shooting from our (gas) range. I am new to gas cooking, but had never heard of pyrex exploding inside an oven before. I have used pyrex for over 25 years and this was my first (and now, last) issue with their bakeware. It was a very scary experience since I had always thought pyrex to be an exceptionally safe product.

NEVER leave a kitchen with anything cooking, no matter how long you've been cooking!!My oven is a mess - it took quite a while to clean up the glass - and longer to clean the mess out of the oven (the remnants of what had been cooking).

Deeanna of Camp Lejeune NC (11/20/07)On two occasions our Pyrex bakeware has exploded in our oven. I say exploded because when glass flies up onto countertops and the refridgerator from the oven that is the only way it could have gotten there, I know the Vice President of Pyrex says they do not explode they break.

On both occasions our food was done and was being taken out of the oven, the rack had been moved out and my husband was getting ready to take our food out and bang and shatter. So, our dinner was ruined and our kitchen was a mess, not to mention my husbands feet had glass in them and they were burned by the food that exploded out of the pan.

The first incident was in May 2000 and now again November 17th 2007! We will not be using Pyrex anymore for anything.

Jeri of Pottstown PA (10/20/07) Pyrex baking dish exploded when removed from oven. Shattered the glass pane in oven door. This is the second such incident. Thought once was my fault, but twice? Sounds like a defect to me....

Paige of Woodand Hills CA (10/30/07) I've had two Pyrex dishes explode--not break. They shattered to tiny dust like particles while unused and in my cabinets. Last night our glass Waring blender exploded while on the counter. It had not been used in weeks and was just sitting there unattended. I've had huge messes because shattered glass is really hard to clean up. And, I had to spend an hour on the Internet this morning instead of working, to get information so I can convince my mother-in-law this isn't the work of a ghost.

No comments: