Sunday, December 2, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Sunday Night

We're entering a busy, busy season of social gatherings and births. Two of my friends and one acquaintance just had babies and two more friends and one more acquaintance are expecting any day now (all due dates are before December 12).



I've been working on coordinating meals for new moms and writing updates for my friend with the premature baby as well as contacting people to ask them to pray. I've been busier than usual doing things that actually require my brain. It's rather refreshing. But I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of gal, so I have to remind myself that when my children are awake and I'm on the phone or computer, they need me to get on the floor and play with them. Or feed them. Or wipe their little bottoms. Or clean up their spills.



I told my grandfather last year that my life had become a series of cleaning up other people's messes. His response? "Oh, so the tables have turned." Thanks for the compassion, Poppop.



Last week, my son spilled some water in the kitchen, and the second I got it cleaned up, my daughter spilled water in the living room. Thank God we put in hardwood floors a few months ago (and bought some super absorbent microfiber towels at Costco). I keep at least one towel on the floor at all times. They get pretty filthy, not to mention soaked, pretty quickly.



I keep thinking that one day I'll sit down and write about things that move me--things I'm passionate about--things that matter. Then, I find myself either without enough time to write anything more than a quick note or my brain is so fried that I couldn't possibly eek out more than, "I took more pictures of the kids."



Judah and I need haircuts. Both of my children need baths. Judah has had the same shirt on since Thursday. It's Sunday night. My husband is packing to go to Austin. Three nights without him doesn't seem so daunting since his three week trip to India. I'm ready. I have something to look forward to every day this week. My mom is coming to visit on Tuesday.



Last week I called my mom and said, "I'm calling to schedule your next visit." She was about to dart out the door, so she called me back with her availability. Tuesday or Thursday. James is traveling again? Tuesday.



My kids adore her. Judah calls her Nana Pajama Pants (and calls himself Judah Flower Pot). She makes him Banana Nut Bread almost every time she sees him, so he's renamed it Nana Nut Bread.



Maybe one day I'll write about how my relationship with my mom has changed--how much I enjoy her visits and watching her love on my children. Just thinking about how much she loves them makes me want to cry. My dad took Judah to the park right after Miriam was born. We have to nudge him a little, but he enjoys them just as much as Mom does. He's just not as assertive. My dad is pretty quiet and shy. Must be where I get it.



:0)

No comments: