Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Tis the season to grow up


I knew it would happen. Even before I had kids I knew it would happen. It happened today. Judah asked me for a Christmas tree. I've never put up a Christmas tree. I don't even know where to begin. It's not that I'm anti-Christmas tree--it's just that I'm not really pro-Christmas tree. It's not something that's important enough to me to spend the energy doing it. Besides, we don't own enough ornaments for a Christmas tree. I think we have one. My friend Wendy made it.

So we're in the van, and I ask Judah, "Where would we put it?"
He says, "Upstairs."
"Where upstairs?"
"In my room."

Then, I thought, maybe we could do a small one and put it on his dresser so Miriam wouldn't pull it down or eat it. We looked at one tonight in the mall. $20. Give me a break.

On the way home, I had a brilliant idea. I said, "What if we make our own tree? What if we put up a big sheet of paper or posterboard and use paints and markers and crayons and colored pencils and fabric and glue and tape and add all kinds of fun decorations?"
"Yeah!"
Score. He's really jazzed about it. Whew. I wonder how many more years we can do this. I wonder which kid will finally cause me to cave in.

If someone were to give me white Christmas lights, I might even put them up. This year. Maybe.

My girlfriend Wendy came over this morning (same one who made my solitary Christmas ornament) and helped me put up curtains in the kids' room (she deserves an award a month for being my friend). I've had a blanket nailed to the wall for 2 1/2 years. I can't help but feel grown up when I go in there now. Judah says with a big grin, "But you ARE a grown up."

Am I?

When did that happen?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, made me smile!

jenchillla said...

I am loving your Christmas tree!!!
What a perfect idea.

Ours is undecorated from about waist-down, thanks to our resident professional tree un-decorator.