Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Three R's: Reading, Reading, and Reading


As I begin to think about being responsible for my kids' education, I'm forced to think about what "education" means. I just finished reading my first "homeschool philosophy" book, For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. I loved it. James bought for me so I can read it again and again throughout this journey of home-educating my children.

I'm also being forced to look at our family's habits--good and bad--and begin to make changes that will benefit us in the long run. It's not easy. There's some resistance. Defensiveness. Attitudes. Hurt. Pain. Tears. Oh, Jesus, help us.

My head is swirling with ideas. I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. I've begun checking out books from the library that are recommended classics. I continue to read aloud to Judah for approximately an hour every day.

I love coming downstairs after putting Miriam down for her morning nap and having Judah ask, "Where's Miriam?" To which I say, "She's sleeping." And his eyes open wide. "We can read books now?" (Oh, I wish you could hear how he says it--he's so delightedly excited.)

"Yes, Judah, we can read books."

"Yay, Yay, Yay!"

We decide which books we're going to read, we cozy up on the couch, and we spend the next hour or so cuddling and reading and asking questions and talking . . . until I feel as though my eyes are going to dry up and I begin to nod off. I hear Judah say, "You're not reading!" I must have fallen asleep. "OK, baby, one more book and then I need a break."

Oh, these are some of the best moments of my current life.

1 comment:

the Mrs. said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that falls asleep while reading to my child. :) We should exchange homeschool ideas... It's so funny our boys are SO close in age... I've been working with Aiden for about a year now, with actual "school" time in a "school" setting. The formal setting helps his focus. Granted, we've had some extended inconsistencies in our routine with the arrival of our new little one, but we are getting back into it consistently. Isn't it exciting?