Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Arched eyebrows at 8?

While I'm over here doing my increasingly natural thing, working toward simplicity, thinking about how my grandparents and great-grandparents lived, and wondering what I can learn from them, conversing with a friend about starting a garden this year, sharing articles about recycling shirts into little dresses . . . I happen upon this article about mothers taking their 8-12 year old daughters to receive spa treatments. Nuts.

Here are the first two paragraphs from the article so if you don't have time to click on the link and read it, you can at least get a glimpse of the polar opposite lifestyle taking place somewhere in Philadelphia:

"Melanie Engle was trying to just pluck the stray hairs here and there. She was trying to deliver an age-appropriate eyebrow wax to her client. It was hard, though, because there was a foot tapping next to her, and a voice shouting in her ear: 'No! Not like that — like a supermodel’s. I want them arched.'

"After years in the beauty biz, Engle had seen her share of crazy ladies demanding perfect, Glamour-cover-worthy brows. But this Crazy Lady wasn’t talking about her own brows. The brows in question belonged to Crazy Lady’s daughter. Who was eight."

1 comment:

julianalovespy said...

So sad. I used to think my mom was so mean because she wouldn't let me shave my legs until I was 13. I guess I was lucky!

I feel so sad for those little girls.