Friday, April 11, 2008

Neighborhood Contrasts

Last Saturday, I drove through Belle Meade (one of the more beautiful areas of Nashville) and was struck by the number of people out walking, jogging, and running. I thought, "I wonder what it would look like if people in Tiff's neighborhood (the inner city projects) were doing the same thing." I was struck by the contrast.

I thought of all the successful people I know or have heard of who excercise regularly. I wondered what kind of connection there might be to exercise and success. I'm sure there's plenty written about it (that I haven't read yet), but I thought of things like how people who get out and exercise--especially in the fresh air--have time to think and/or pray while they're out. They're probably less prone to depression. They're taking time to take care of themselves, which enables them to take care of their families well.

At lunch last Sunday, I shared this observation with my friend Bob Anderson who said I should read the book The Millionaire Mind. It was recommended a few years ago to our fellowship by Brian Smallwood, who was then the senior leader at Grace Center. He served as the pastor for seven years without taking a salary since he owns his own (very successful) business.

Just a little food for thought. Since it usually takes people at least 3 to 4 times to hear about something before it becomes part of their reality, I'm sure this is the beginning of something else to be excited about for me.

No comments: