Monday, April 14, 2008

Smoothies

I salvaged my morning smoothie today. After I added romaine (which had been in the fridge for a week), it tasted pretty bitter. So I added about a cup of frozen blueberries. Not only did the addition eliminate the bitter taste, but it also changed it to a pretty purple color.

Mango usually helps tone down the bitterness, but I didn't add mango this morning. MH isn't crazy about mango, and I really wanted him to go to work with a smoothie. He's also more likely to drink them without the greens, so I poured his before adding my greens.

I know, I could have just added mango after I poured his, but I'm really trying to get out of my smoothie rut. I've been making the same basic combination for about two weeks now. It's time to branch out again.

I was thinking this morning about how I tried lots of different smoothie recipes before I ever started adding greens. I frequented Smoothie King and Freshens Smoothie joints, checked out books from the library, and surfed the Internet for recipes until I finally started figuring out which combinations were my favorites.

OK, now my kids are begging for frozen blueberries. Judah's hands are purple and cold, and Miriam has a little purple mustache.

2 comments:

the Mrs. said...

Ah, frozen blueberries. Mine was eating them last night after dinner...his mouth and teeth were COMPLETELY blue. He looked as though he was suffering from hypothermia!

Nevertheless, a great treat!

Shyla said...

Yummy! Noah went through a blueberry stage when he was a baby. Better watch those blueberries though...Trust Me. You Do Not want your kids to eat too many of them in one day...and you Don't want to ask me how I know :o)