Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My new blender


James recently brought home a nice bonus from Dell, and in addition to having our bathroom floor repaired, we bought a Vita-Mix blender.


Never in my life have I been so excited about a kitchen appliance.

I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!


Judah and I watched the "getting to know your blender" DVD together yesterday. He couldn't wait for me to make ice-cream and I couldn't wait to make a green smoothie. His ice-cream, which was absolutely delicious, was made with fresh pineapple and mango, ice, and whole milk (we've been buying the local non-homogenized kind that is gently pasteurized--we're considering purchasing raw milk, but we want to be sure we'll actually use it since we're not milk drinkers). We made it yesterday, and he finished it today. That's the kind of ice-cream I don't mind him eating for breakfast!


I added a couple carrots to my green smoothie (thanks to my friend Wendy's suggestion) and couldn't tell the difference. It was delicious. I managed to make the smoothie in record time and clean the blender in seconds. It's so powerful that you can put in five cups of warm water and two drops of dishwashing liquid, let it run for 30-60 seconds, and it's clean. It just needs a quick rinse in the sink to wash off the bubbles. Wow. It's its own dishwasher!


Did you know that you can cook soup in a Vita-Mix?!? Yep, steamy hot soup can be made in this super blender. I can't wait to try it. I just need all the ingredients for their creamy potato and chicken soup. I told Wendy (who knows how little I enjoy cooking) that I might actually start preparing some evening meals!


Just so you know, we have killed four blenders in the past three years. Not the best track-record. The first one was over 40 years old, the second one was a cheapie hand-me-down, the third one had a spoon in it that James tried to blend (oops!), and the fourth couldn't handle all the frozen strawberries James loaded into it. We upgraded when we went to exchange the last one, but the upgrade was heavy and an absolute beast to clean. It did a good job of blending, but it had all sorts of negative features. The Vita-Mix is light, a cinch to clean, 64 fl. oz. HUGE, and lasts FOREVER. Even the clerk at Williams Sonoma told me that if we're big into smoothies that we should consider buying a Vita-Mix. She has had hers for 11 years and has never had a problem.


So that's my big news for today. My new blender and all the joy it brings. That's how I'm able to make juice out of whole pieces of fruit in seconds.


I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!!
I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!!
I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!!


I honestly have never been so excited about a kitchen appliance in my life. I had no idea how much I would enjoy this thing. It's funny how our priorities change as we get older and have children. Hooray for a blender and a new bathroom floor. Woo Hoo!!!



4 comments:

julianalovespy said...

Lori!!! I am SOOO excited about your Vita-Mix! I read your post earlier and was going to comment and ask you if you just stuck those clementines in your KitchenAid and it made the juice, but now I don't have to!

One of the things I want a VM for is to make the whole food juices. Oh, and now you can make that spicy carrot bunny drink on the Happy Foody blog!! Yum!

Yay yay yay! Now....you can pray that we will get one too! You know, our plan is to put our ridiculous free government money in May into IRAs (to stimulate our OWN economy), but maybe we should spare some and stimulate the blender economy!

PLEASE tell us all the things you are getting to do with it and I'll live vicariously through you - tee hee! Julie

Unknown said...

Yea for you. Sounds like fun.

However, you will have to do more to sway me from me favorite blender (which I haven't purchased yet).

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone

:)
-dbi

the Mrs. said...

Congrats! It's nice to find a blender you love. We have gone through two in two years...(four in six years)... I can relate. We begin our days with fresh fruit smoothies with raw milk. (Yum!) Raw milk is the way to go, so many nutrients and precious enzymes and probiotics our bodies love. I'm not a milk drinker...but I love using this milk in my smoothies! Got RAW milk? :) You can make kefir, butter, and even your own cheese with your milk. Ours always has a nice, healthy layer of cream at the top. Throughout the day, I make treats for Aiden: "chocolate milk", banana "milkshakes"...all with no sugar and whole, nutritious ingredients. He doesn't know the difference, and I don't mind giving the treats to him. :) It only takes a little effort (and sometimes creativity) to go a healthier route. A conversation I had with you about three years ago, believe it or not, sparked my curiosity about all that I was putting into my body. Thankfully, I was on the right track, but two key ingredients (high fructose corn syrup and trans fats) were things I hadn't completely been attuned to. I am so glad that I had that conversation with you before I began feeding my child solid food. I eradicated those things from our diet immediately and am now surprised how much you have to WATCH...those ingredients are used everywhere...in everything! It's exciting to think that we can start our children off on the right track, giving them the opportunity to form a taste for the healthier things. And with this verbose blog comment I end by saying, "Congrats, again, or you new blender!"

jenchillla said...

Congratulations! Kitchen appliances make me swoon. I thank God for my trusty food processor and its amazing cabbage-shredding, carrot-grating fabulousness.

Maybe when I move to Nashville I can get a job at Williams-Sonoma!

*wheels turning*