Saturday, July 14, 2007

Judah Hears from God, Part 2

This afternoon, I asked Judah to help me clean up the living room. He didn't want to. So I told him he could help me clean up now or he could go upstairs to his room and sit on his bed until he was ready to help me. I checked on him twice (just to make sure he was actually on his bed and not dragging out more toys). He was sitting on his bed both times, just hanging out.

Now, this comes after two or three days of telling me flat-out, "I won't...(fill in the blank)." To be perfectly honest, it made me a little nervous. I wasn't sure how long it would last or if it was here to stay. He had reached a new level of realization: Mommy can't control me. I'm in control of myself.

A few minutes later, he comes down the stairs saying (in his sing-song voice), "OK, I'm ready to help you clean up!" Then he says, "It's good to obey your mom and dad."

I asked where he learned that, and he said, "My dad taught me that." And then a few minutes later, "I learned that in my class." Oh, thank you, God, for Sunday School at Grace Center.

(A few weeks ago at Grace Center, Judah learned to say, "When I listen and obey, good things will come my way." As I look at my tidy living room, I realize I'm reaping the reward!)

No comments: