Thursday, July 19, 2007

Our Tiffany




Tiffany is Judah's best friend. She's eager to please, kind, helpful, and a delight to have around. When she comes over, I actually get housework done and have the motivation to pull something together for dinner.


When I read about Davidson Co. schools switching to Standard School Attire , I immediately wanted to take Tiffany school shopping. We've known her and her family for two years, but this is a first for us. Tonight we bought a navy blue jumper and a white blouse at Wal-Mart (after walking the Cool Springs Mall to no avail). Before school starts in mid-August, I'm hoping to find a couple more outfits--at least two shirts and two bottoms.


When I took Tiffany home tonight, her mom mentioned some other needs (for the first time in two years): a box springs and frame for Tiffany's bed (which is on milk crates right now), a small or adjustable dining room table (which is wobbly), a couch that doesn't show stains easily (their couch is sinking), dressers (which they don't have), and a computer (especially for her 16-year-old so she doesn't have to go the public library where there's often a wait as well as a 1-hour time limit).


Tiffany's family has been living in an apartment (in a sketchy neighborhood) since September, and everything is still in boxes because of their lack of dressers. I told her that most of what we own is handed down and that oftentimes people just hang on to furniture until they know of someone who needs it. I'll be checking Craig's list for free items, but I thought I'd post about it in case someone I know has something they can use.


After seeing how happy and absolutely adorable Tiffany looked trying on her new clothes (new clothes!), my head is swimming with ideas for helping low-income families with the new SSA. Anyone else interested in this topic?

1 comment:

Shyla said...

I am interested! My aunt has taught in low-income area schools for 30+ years, and has been at Schwab for the last five or so(that's right around the corner from you guys I think.)

We often are passing down things to her that her kids' families can use. I hadn't even thought much about the SSA, what are your thoughts on ways to help?