Sunday, July 8, 2007

Making it Right

Brian Smallwood, who was the senior leader at Grace Center for years, says, "When you get married, you hear the Holy Spirit in stereo." Well, Brian, when you have kids, you get surround sound.

Last night, James and I had an argument in front of Judah. I pushed James out the door and shut and locked it. Then, I tried to go to bed, but Judah was sleeping in our bed so our guests could have his room. My conversation with Judah went something like this:

Mommy, why did you push Daddy?
Because I was frustrated.
Why were you frustrated?
Because Daddy was angry with me and hurt my feelings.
Why was Daddy angry at you?
That's between your Daddy and me.
Why did you lock the door?
I don't know, Judah.
Are you going to unlock it when it's morning?
No, I'll go ahead and unlock it now.
Why did you do that?
Because I made a bad choice. Sometimes mommies and daddies make bad choices.
Are you going to make it right?
Yes.
When? When are you going to make it right?
Maybe when Mira wakes up.
When it's Day?
No, in a couple hours.
You're not going to make it right Now?
Well, I thought I'd go to sleep, but I guess the Bible says not to let the sun go down on your anger.
Silent pause.
Are you going to do what God says?
Um, yes.
Now?
Yes. Will you stay in bed while I go make it right with Daddy?
Yes.
Thank you, baby.

I went downstairs to tell James what happened. We laughed really hard and made up. Then Judah calls from upstairs, "Mommy! Are you done yet?" It was so nice to go to bed with a clear conscience and peace in my heart.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

that was awesome. i'm kind of glad finley isn't so in tune with those sorts of things yet. that lets me lick my wounds longer. ;)