Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Celebration of Deliverance

We returned tonight from an evening spent celebrating Purim, the Jewish holiday calling to remembrance the story of Esther (and, as one of the readers pointed out toward the end, Mordecai, who becomes a great and famous leader after his cousin Esther helps to deliver the Jewish people from being completely annihilated).

Oh, how I wish we had Christian traditions like the one we experienced tonight! Several families came dressed in costumes resembling what Esther or Mordecai might have worn. Children were at every table. Jewish blessings were prayed, Jewish songs were sung, the story of Esther was read aloud (several people took turns reading while the crowd made all kinds of racket when the names "Haman" or "Mordecai" were mentioned--booing for Haman and cheering for Mordecai; they "ahhhhh'ed" for Esther), more Jewish blessings were prayed, and we finished by eating dessert and enjoying the company of one another.

This is a portion of the e-mail that was forwarded to us by some Messianic Jewish friends (we attended the celebration with them):

***We will gather to read the megillah (scroll) of Esther for the holiday of PURIM this coming Thursday evening. We'll be joining with families from Belmont Church and DR. DON (Finto). Bring the yeladim (children), costume dress optional, and bring some nosh -- Hamantoshan (triangular pastry w/ fruit filling), if possible; if not, something else. Bring your groggers (noisemakers) to shake when Haman's name is mentioned!***

I'm so jealous for more history-filled traditions for my family--celebrations and feasts and the reading aloud of scripture. . . . I think we're going to have to steal them from our Jewish friends.

As a 14-year-old, I would get into arguments with my Sunday School teachers at my little Baptist church about the teachings of the man who dons the red suit at Christmas or the animal that parades around with eggs at Easter. They would say, "Well, you have to give children something to believe in." And I'd say, "Right, so give them something to believe in that you don't have to take away from them when they're old enough to know the difference." (I found my "tooth fairy" teeth in the garage when I was six or so, and went to my mom with "You lied to me! There's no Tooth Fairy. There's no Santa Claus. There's no Easter Bunny. Is there no God, too? And what about Jesus? I can't trust you anymore!") I know. Very dramatic. But who I was at six is still who I am at 33. Need I remind you that I am Her Royal Excitedness?

I just can't embrace the traditions of my youth with any sort of clear conscience. I can't justify putting presents under a tree and saying they're from a strange man who mysteriously entered our house in the middle of the night because my children were "nice" instead of "naughty" all year. I can't imagine taking my children to an egg hunt or giving them "Easter baskets" from an imaginary bunny who lays eggs.

I just don't get it. And if I don't get it, I don't do it. I know that there are other people who don't get these traditions, but I often feel as though I'm the only one longing for more. I also know that some people will read this and think that they can't tell me about their kids' egg hunts for fear that I'll be mad at them or judge them. Whatever. Do what you feel the Holy Spirit leading you to do. Don't worry about what we do. This is my online journal. This is where I vent and work out my feelings, ideas, passions . . .

I'm not out to take away all the imaginary traditions people celebrate. I'm out to find meaningful traditions for my family to enjoy--traditions that help me and my children remember the ways in which God has come through for His people throughout the ages. For this, I'm turning to my Jewish brothers and sisters. What they have to offer is rich beyond measure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, herroyalexcitedness, for a very thought-provoking and meditative post. You aren't alone in your thoughts and quests for truth! :)