Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Challenge (yes, it's green)

Have you ever tried green beer or green eggs and ham on St. Patrick's Day? Why not try a green smoothie this year? That's my little challenge to you: a green smoothie in honor of St. Paddy's Day. If you never drink another, at least you'll be able to say that you tried one!

Simple Recipe:
two ripe bananas
two big handfuls of frozen strawberries
a cup of orange juice
a handful of spinach or kale

Mmmmmmmmmm. Delicious.

This morning's smoothie was made with a fresh mango, frozen strawberries, some OJ (not-from-concentrate but pasteurized--it's been a juicy kind of day--I had two cups of fruit tea for lunch!), and finally some butter lettuce. It was a little bitter. I prefer spinach or kale because I usually can't taste them. If our blender hadn't kicked the bucket, I would have added a banana (organic bananas at The Turnip Truck are 50 cents a pound right now and SOOOOOO delicious--reminded me a little of Uganda). It's time to go back to Williams Sonoma for a new Kitchen-Aid blender. They have a wonderful return policy!

Oh, since I've talked to two friends about feast nights this week, and they were relieved to know that we don't eat healthy fare every night of the week, I thought it would be worth sharing here.

After reading Healthy Habits by David and Anne Frahm, we started incorporating "feast nights." It's the one night (or day) of the week we really blow it nutritionally. We'll order a greasy pizza or pig out on fried chicken and French fries. We'll eat ice cream with chocolate chip cookie dough. We'll regret it, of course, and pay for it the next day.

Our feast nights have grown increasingly healthier because we hate the way we feel afterward; however, I have to admit that I get a craving for Monell's at least once or twice a year, which is a great place to have a feast meal.

The Frahms say that it's not what you eat 15% of the time that kills you. It's what you eat 85% of the time.

Enjoy your green smoothie today!

4 comments:

jenchillla said...

Mmmm... Monell's...

*craving*

Shyla said...

I love reading about your family's eating habits. Sometime would you give us a typical few days at your house? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks? Glen mentioned when he was over the other day that you guys had fish for lunch...how did you make it? Was it leftover? (I only ask as I've heard about your fear of cooking :o)
When does James come home? Does he always come home and then fix dinner? What is a typical dinner for you guys? I have lots of questions and would to just get a little peek into your daily life! You know....when you get some of that free time all of us mamas have loads of :o)

Shyla said...

Oh yeah, what's The Turnip Truck?

Shyla said...

So I took your green smoothie challenge (although I had to wait until Wednesday after I could get some spinach!) and I must say...it's great! I used 2 bananas, some frozen strawberries, peaches, spinach, and extra ice as I like my smoothies crunchy :o)
I forgot the juice, but since I like them crunchy, I didn't miss it at all...yumm! Thanks for the challenge.