Sunday, March 9, 2008

A letter from a former student

Friday night I braved the snow and attended the New Song Christian Academy talent showcase. You're probably wondering why on earth I would drive for 30 minutes in the year's worst weather to watch K-8th grade acts perform for nearly two hours. If this is what you're wondering, then you've obviously never been to a NSCA talent show.

Teaching at New Song blew me away in a lot of ways. For one, it gave me a much broader perspective on junior high kids. The experience completely sold me on homeschooling. I used to think that public school kids were normal and the homeschool kids must be socially inept. However, in my years at NSCA, I met student after student who shattered my paradigm. Never had I met more bright, creative, honoring, well-spoken, or well-behaved students--and junior high kids at that. They weren't mouthy or disrespectful or violent or mean. They were a dream to teach.

Then, I went to my first talent show. I was speechless. I cried. I laughed. I stood on my seat and cheered. Granted, I live in Nashville, so there are artists who send their kids to the academy (for example, Miley Cyrus a.k.a. Hannah Montana attended NSCA as did the daughter of Lee Ann Womak. The student I ran into is the son of Cheri Keaggy and the nephew of Phil Keaggy). One of my former students, Chase Benz, is in the movie Step Up 2 the Streets, which is currently still in the top ten at the box office. The last time I checked, it was #4. If you'd like to see a sample of Chase dancing, you can watch here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9CYIOkXuUBE. I still remember his performance at NSCA. Oh.My.Gosh.

So on Friday, I ran into a former student who tried to convince me to take swing dancing lessons from him. I told him to e-mail me the details, and this is what I received in my inbox the next morning:

SUBJECT LINE: From Sir Cameron, Lord of Keaggy
E-MAIL MESSAGE:
Greetings Dearest Mrs. Todd,

First, let me begin by saying, "I quite enjoyed seeing you again at the talent show." (I apologize in advance for any grammatical or rhetorical errors in this message due to the hour at which I am composing this letter) I trust that the rest of the show was as superb as the little bit that I had the honor of watching. So many talent shows; so many memories; so much hair.

To follow through what we talked about, the following bit is all the info you will need in order to have the greatest dancing experience of all time:

What: Jump, Jive, and Swing are the grooviest things. There are dancing cats in fedora hats.

Where: Otter Creek Church off Franklin Road (yes it is a church of Christ, but they let us dance there anyway.

When: 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month.

Scheduled times: 7:00-7:45 (basic ballroom lessons)
7:45-8:30 (basic or intermediate swing dance lessons) 8:30-11:00 (open swing dance) - kinda like a buffet; all you can eat (or dance)

Cost: 6 dollars (all the money goes towards Youth With A Mission Ministries)

Why: because all the cool people do it. And did I mention its basically the best thing ever. You do know that swing dancing is what the angels are doing right now. We have to be ready.

So come on down to the grooviest place around. (Warning: I will not be there the next time due to a concert I am doing with my mother) But I'll let you know when the next one is. And if you are wondering, you can dress up if you want, or you can come in jeans if you want. I dress up because I love it. (Suit with suspenders with fedora hat) The coolest. Anyway, you guys need to come and I promise you both that you will have the time of your lives. Take it from anyone that I have invited. (Which does not really help you, cause you dont know any of those people) well, except the Hoertners. And they had a ball. So ya....please come.

Side Note: you can see a sample video I made of some swing stuff by going to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cDRxBAK5JU (Jump, Jive, & Wail or 1st Dance of 2008)

To give you a brief update, I will be graduating in three months and I CAN'T WAIT. Our spring musical is "My Fair Lady" and I have the part of Alfred P. Doolittle. (we dont have a date set for that yet, but I will let you know when I find out) I will be going to London the day after graduation for 10 days and then Scotland for 3 days. (that is our Senior trip) Both Colby and I will be attending Belmont University in the fall (I could not be more excited) Oh...and....I really Love to dance. This is a more recent thing. I have been Swing Dancing for a little over a year now, but I was a dance recital at TPAC in front of hundres, and I will be in a dance recital for my sister's school coming up. (May 9th) I'm still writing a lot (as you can obviously tell by my letter) I never know when to stop. If you could only know the Thesis Papers I have written in High School. I owe it all to you. You were the one that sparked my interest of writing. (Thank you so much)

As I close, I am reminded of what time it is and realize that I really should retire for the night....er...um....early early morning. (hee hee) Again, it was so glad to see you. Give my regards (wait....scratch those regards.......more like super duper craziness of happiest hugs and dancing fairytales) Fare Thee Well & Keep Watching.

Your old student and soon to be swing dance instructor,

Sir Cameron, Lord of Keaggy

http://www.youtube.com/user/NarrowGateStudios

************

If you're impressed with the e-mail, you should check out a few of his 69 videos on You Tube. I especially enjoyed "Jump, Jive, and Wail" and "Funniest Musical." I love the idea of high school boys not only writing well, but also loving to write, loving to dance, loving to create short films . . . loving to CREATE, period.

I look at these videos and think how amazing these kids are and how much time I wasted on being boy-crazy and dating and stupid, meaningless crap. I have some really great memories with friends, but most of my junior high and high school years were wasted on worrying about boys liking me or who I liked that week or who was breaking up with whom . . . as if any of it mattered.

I'm hoping my kids will follow in the footsteps of kids like Cameron who have FUN doing all sorts of crazy, hilarious, action-packed things with groups of friends. And here's the kicker--they're all Believers. Not just "I go to church" Believers, but "I know God" Believers. Believers who Believe. Believers who talk with God and walk with Jesus and respond to Holy Spirit and aren't tossed all over the place by the latest fads and trends and philosophies. They're solid. They're amazing.

I do have to admit that his comment about my sparking his interest in writing made me cry. It's one thing to help a student become a better craftsman and quite another to spark something they didn't even know existed. I remember well Cameron's first few essays.

This is what his thought process looked like: A paragraph generally consists of three sentences? You want a three paragraph essay? So I only have to write nine sentences? Score!

Yep. That was Cameron. Yet, what he wrote was always well-organized and succinct enough to convey the message. I loved it. I encouraged him (when I wasn't throwing markers at him--yes, I threw a marker at a student--and he won't let me forget it). He drove me absolutely nuts. Then, he made me unbelievably proud. Cameron, you're one of my heroes. You and Colby are going to be wildly successful. In my eyes, you already are.

Cameron's movie recommendations:
Dan in Real Life
No Country for Old Men
I told him I had only seen a few movies in the past year or so, and we both agreed that Amazing Grace was excellent, even if there were a few historical inaccuracies (that I didn't catch but he did).

A few movie recommendations from me:
The Princess Bride
Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting
Life is Beautiful
To End All Wars

1 comment:

jenchillla said...

I love to dance! I want to go!

(Maybe when I move to Nashville ;) )