Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Composting No-No

Last year when metro was running a sale on compost bins, we bought one. It's nothing fancy. In fact, I'm pretty sure we could have constructed something ourselves that would have worked just as well. However, since we're not really the constructing type, we now have a big, black, plastic bin in our backyard.

Before I started composting, I read the manual. No meat, no oils, no seeds. I kind of didn't worry about the no seeds part. Now I have little plants growing in my compost bin, desperate for some sunlight, reaching through the vents for some photosynthesis action:

Another reason why you're not supposed to put seeds in your bin is that when you start using your compost to help your plants grow, you don't want your plants overtaken by mysterious fruits or vegetables. Or, if you're like me, and don't mind the surprises (along with being willing to sacrifice a couple planned plants), you could put seeds in your bin on purpose and see what springs up:

This is proof that I don't kill EVERYthing trying to grow in my yard.

No comments: