Monday, June 30, 2008

The Sword and the Blanket

Last night, after a full day of hanging out with friends while they constructed a dragon float for their neighborhood's 4th of July parade, my family piled in the car ready to head home. Judah realized he had forgotten his swords. We hear this coming from behind us:

"I forgot all my swords! My paper sword, my big sword . . . and it takes a long time to get home!"

So I ran back inside to find the swords. I found the paper sword (a rolled-up piece of paper) and the hook (made out of foam board) but not the big sword. While I was looking, Judah says to his daddy, "Daddy, quit being such a wet blanket."

Ah, the fruits of reading The Chronicles of Narnia aloud to my 4-year-old sponge.

*****

After I posted this, Judah came upstairs and (after announcing that he was scratching himself) said to me, "Mommy, we haven't read Narnia in a while. Can we sneak through one chapter? Just one chapter? Just one chapter?"

He's an addict.

*****

We managed to "sneak through" two chapters. He has his sights set on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn next. I might need to redirect.